Saturday, September 13, 2008

13.1 and 13.1...

Running 26.2 miles is too much to think about it. Again, 13.1 isn't too bad. So as I am biking up the helix, that is all I am thinking about. Just a 13.1 mile run after my 16 mile ride.

I knew Erin was in T2 so after a volunteer took Blain, I grabbed my bike to run bag, ran into the woman's change room and looked for Erin. She calls me right over and it was so great to see a friendly face. I change fast, thank her, tell her I will see her at the finish, and head out.

I see Mom and grab a hug as she takes a picture - too funny not to post. Get a bit more sunblock and start to head out.
I see a DC Tri jersey in front of me and it's Tony!!
We chat and he is gone before I hit the timing mat on T2. I have time for a few more hugs to people in teal and head out on my 13.1 mile jog.

I want to stick to my plan, 1:1 for the first mile, 2:1 later if I am feeling good. But on State street, for that first mile, there is no walking. You just can't. EVERYONE is cheering, and it is just awesome. My name is on my number so EVERYONE is yelling "Go Amanda", "Go Ironman Amanda" and I am slapping hands, waving, cheering - for those first 10 minutes, I feel light as a feather with no pain.

I start to steady my pace, enjoying my 1:1 and decide it's best to stick to that plan. My stomach is cramping, Accelerade and Gu aren't sitting, so pretzels, orange slices, grapes and water is all I take. I am fading, but trying to stay positive. Then the LARGEST HILL EVER comes and I don't even try to run. I see a guy 'littering' on the side who says he needs help. I talk to one guy who is barley walking due to his hamstring. Not good when I am only on mile 6.

Heading to the path around Lake Mendota, my legs start to tingle, then go numb. I don't know what is happening but all I know I am trying to just keep moving forward. This is the second time I don't know if I will be an Ironman.

But I started talking to this woman Gina. We have been leap frogging and getting to know each other in a way you can only truly understand when in this type of 'race' situation. It keeps me going and then I see signs ahead. My parents said they made one, so that is my new focus for the next mile or so, enough to take my mind off my numb legs.

Around mile 10 I see Rose. I tell her about my legs, not taking in calories and I was worried. She reassured me to just keep moving. Don't run, I will be fine and will be able to finish if I just keep moving. Oh, and Coach called and said to "stay strong". Come on, where is that "You rock, great job, so proud of you..." But that isn't the way Coach is and "stay strong" is actually what I needed.

Unfortunately, Dad was there about that time and I didn't notice until it was too late. I only say that because another note from Coach was to not "let your family see if you are in pain. They will be worrying enough, just smile and say how great and strong you are feeling". I had been doing that, but missed this one.

Anyway, around mile 12 you are back toward State Street, still crowds, and TEAL. My mom, Suzie, Rick, Bob. Teal is SOOO my new favorite color. I hit the turn around, see Kristin and Lauren, and stop at my special needs bag. Pop some Tylenol 8 hour and Gina and I keep going.

It gets instantly dark. I try to use the bathroom hoping it will help. It doesn't. I am trying to run to catch back up with Gina. Everything hurts. We see my dad around Camp Randall, smile, and run for the picture. I know that will be the last time I run for awhile - at mile 15. I do the math, even at 20 minute miles, walking, I will finish in time. So I walk.

Somewhere Rose shows up to walk. Right before that hill, Jess is there. We all haul our butts up, thinking we will now have an Ironbutt in addition to being Ironmen. Yes, we are getting a bit loopy.

Just keep moving foward. Rose and Jess leave me for ice cream (a few hand gestures and words are spoken that are not suitable for blogging). But Suzie, Rick, my parents, everyone is around. One more (successful) bathroom stop and I am feeling good - even though I can no longer feel my right foot. I smile for the pictures, give high 5's, cheer and woot - trying to mask my pain. Deep down, I know I will finish. There is something stronger than I know keeping me moving forward.

Suzie walks with me. I lost Gina at my last bathroom stop. Jess and Rose are back. I know I am not supposed to have outside help, but really, I needed it. Stay strong. Dig deep. Just move forward. Then it happens, the rain. Stupid Mother Nature!! God and I have a chat, the rain stops. Thank you!

Mile 20. A 10K left. I can do 6.2 miles. More chicken broth, cola, water, that is all that is keeping me going. And becoming an Ironman. I start talking to my self, even though Jess, Rose and Suzie are all there. They can't tell when I am talking to them vs. myself. I see a woman being carried. I see my sign again. I think of everyone there in Madison, watching on the Internet, sitting with their phones waiting for a text message update, and I keep moving. It's enough am good to go on my own for awhile.

Mile 24 I see Kristin and Lauren. We share stories of the day. Cheer and thank the volunteers. And then I make that turn on State Street one more time and I see the Capital. So close. So much pain - nothing I could have imagined. But I am going to do it.

I am about to become an Ironman

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It has been over a year since you told us that you were going to attempt an Ironman - Your dad & I didn't know quite what that meant, why should we, but we learned what it was, and felt if that is what you wanted so be it - Over these 12months we have seen you focus all your energies on this goal - A person can not truly appreciate the time & effort an athlete devotes to his craft until you see an event and all that goes with it - You are an Ironman - but more importantly to us, you are our Ironmandy - Love you & congratulations, Mom