Wednesday, September 10, 2008

4:20 Wake Up Call

When doing an Ironman, you know it will be a long day with a very early start. Somehow poor Rose and Erica got stuck in a room with me so they were up early too.

Get dressed, make toast, drink coffee, eat a banana, pull out water bottles from the freezer, get ice, pack special needs, check - re-check - triple check all my lists, all while trying to stay calm. I don't have the "I forgot something" feeling, so figured I am doing okay. Around 5 we all head out to Monona terrace.

I am still feeling pretty good and overall, just excited. I am trying not to think about what I am about to do, just living in the moment, thankful for the opportunity and support I have around me.

I get to Blain, pump his tires, drop off the water bottles, and head inside to add last minute things to my swim to bike and bike to run. Then I notice something, people are body marked. Totally forgot! So, off to get body marked.

As I am being branded with 1975, I meet my first blog reader, Erin, who is volunteering. So great!! The other picture I have of the 2 of us, my eyes are closed. Sorry!! Anyway, we chat, I learn she will be in T2 and the finish so I know where to look.

By this time, the sun is raising and I need to head towards the water. I say my final "good bye's" and "thank you's" to everyone as they are taking their positions on the helix or with me to the water.

Jess and Rose come with me to the start and it's the first time I let my nerves show. Up until now, I have been trying to have fun and remember each moment, without freaking out. Hopefully I fooled everyone. But Rose and Jess have been at most of my races and know how to handle me when the intensity gets to be too much for me to handle. So, I let a few tears flow, some uncertainty of the day come out, and let my confidence come and go wondering if I can or can not do this. But the day is turning out to be beautiful, I am nothing but lucky, say goodbye to them and head to the water...

No comments: