Thursday, September 11, 2008

6:40 a.m. and a 2.4 Mile Swim

Now I knew going into the swim that this was my most comfortable event. But, I have never had a swim start with about 2,207 people.

There is the beautiful sunrise, I start to put my ear plugs in, head into the water about 6:40 and I hear “are you Attempting Ironman?” I turn, and say “Why yes I am”.
“We read your blog!!” It was the sisters from Chicago whose blog I have been reading!! I couldn’t believe it!! We chat for a few moments, figure out what we are wearing on the course to look on the bike and run course, wish each other luck and head into the water.

I picked my position, just to the left of the ski ramp, a few people back. I am careful not to look behind me and see the number of people. That would freak me out. The pros are off, everyone is just floating around and I am just trying to stay calm. The National Anthem is sung, I get a bit choked up and look at the tons and TONS of people around Mononoa Terrace. This guy starts talking to me and he has an Australian accent so I am not sure what he said (was lost in the cuteness) but it was both of our first Ironman attempts, we high 5, and the canon goes off.

WOW – I have to say a HUGE thanks to my water polo coach John. If it wasn’t for him and all the practice swimming over each other (I played on the men’s team at times) I would have freaked out. But, to my surprise, about half way down the first length, I found some open water. Things were going well until that first turn. Swimming in a washing machine is an understatement.

I had a swift kick to the rips, but managed to keep going. The rest of the swim was good, really good. A few kicks to the face, more shoving, and one head dunk. That made me mad and maybe my elbow came up a bit high into his chest. But really, if you feel your hand on my head, the swim cap with a big bump of hair, wouldn’t you move your hand and not push it down… I am just saying…

Somewhere I managed to check my watch on lap 2. 11 seconds. Obviously it was kicked and stopped so I had no idea my swim time. Oh well, just keep swimming, staying strong, not too hard - it's going to be a long day. After the last turn, I start mentally preping for the bike.

I run out, feeling so good, but missed the clock. As I head to the wet suit peelers "strippers", I asked the time.
"Hour 10" says the guy.
"HOLY $HIT!!" I shout, really loud. Followed by "Sorry Kids!" as I look around and see a bunch of kids looking at me. I was just so shocked at my time.


I start to run up the helix looking for teal blobs. Finally I see some, continue up the helix, a few more. The cheers were so great!

I was so fast, I don't have any pictures of me running up the helix :-) No one had time to get the cameras ready. Woo-Hoo!! (Or at least of the pictures I have so far.) The day was starting off really great.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Hello! I am reading your blog to get some insight into my first ironman! It has helped a lot. I noticed that you impressed with your swim time. What were you aiming for?

I currently free comfortable swimming at a 2:20/100 pace hoping to finish around 2:30-40. What were your workouts like?

Thank you for blogging!