Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Glorious GLORIOUS Finish

People say there is nothing like it. And it's true, it is a feeling I have never even come close to having.

Kristin and Lauren got me up to State Street. I told them to turn right around the capital and wait for me at the finish. I had to go left, and would start running at the Walgreen's. More cheering, high 5's, and I was grinning ear to ear, still kind of in a bit of disbelief. I am talking to one guy from Mexico, his first Ironman too. He takes off on a run to finish. I hear Mike Riley's voice - the voice of Ironman, music, the crowds and it's better than I ever imagined.
2 people pass me and there are a few behind so I knew if I wanted the moment to my self, I had to run, and run now. So I did. I hear everyone cheering "GO AMANDA!!!" I keep looking, not sure who I know and who is just cheering, caught up in the energy that is an Ironman finish. So I keep running with a permanent smile. I see Jess, some other Teal shirts, and I just keep running.

They are playing "Shout" and I hear it.

"29 year old Amanda Chadwick from Washington DC, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!" I really don't know how I didn't break down right there. What a moment. I hold the banner for a picture (as Ryan instructed me to know what to do when I crossed) and this is close enough. I keep running and see Erin ready with my medal. Give her a huge hug. My 'catcher' can't really keep up... She does get my shirt, hat and sliver blanket. My picture is taken. Am offered a Coke/Sprite, told where the food and medical tent are located and released.

After all of that, I finally get to see my Teal supports. Huge hug to Mom and Dad. And EVERYONE else, and the tears just come down. I know there is a totally kick butt group picture, but I am not sure who has it.

What a feeling. Really. I know I just said that, but really. Wow.

I think back to this year. And the day. It was better than I could have ever imagined. And to share it with those who love and care about me, more than I can put into words.

Many parts through out the day I knew I would finish, others I didn't think I could. I mentioned I had pain I had never felt before. But I also felt support I have never felt before. For every negative thought, feeling, moment I had, there were about 10 positive ones (NOTE - I do realize this is being written a week after the race...)

I was told it would be a day you do on your own. As much as that is true, I have to disagree, and I am so lucky to say that.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. You have all made this dream come true.

3 comments:

Kip said...

I don't know which I love more, doing...finishing an Ironman race or reading someone's race report. Truly wonderful story Amanda. You tugged at my heart strings several times---and yes, I too couldn't wait to see the pirates. Inspiring and amazing, but what is next? Ironman 2?

Congratulations and great job! Sorry I didn't get to see you out there.

KIP

Sara said...

Wow what a great race report!! You did an amazing job this year training and it certainly paid off on raceday! You are an ironman!!! Congrats!

Sara Cox Landolt said...

Hi there,
I'm new to your blog, but wanted to say my husband and I were down cheering people on at that time. I loved reading about your finish and race experience. What a gorgeous day! Both Ken and I have finished (Ken at IMWI and me at IMFL) that finish line is amazing!!
Awesome!
Sara