Friday, October 26, 2007

PAUSE does not mean STOP

Ready... Take 3!!

So I am ready to start my Ironman training for a third time. The actual first time, after the tonsil surgery, and now after the passing of my beloved grandmother. After a 16 hour drive, catching up on sleep, unpacking, a few too many 'beverages' one evening, and a few tears: working out seemed like a good idea that I just couldn't get my self to do.

I made my self go yesterday.
It's raining, and has been for 3 days, so the treadmill it was. 35 min of walking - basically because my HR is still too high.

I tried again today for 40 minutes. My gym is in my office, which means there are co-workers everywhere. I am self conscience - especially about my slowness. After my warm up, I hit the PAUSE button on the treadmill. I hopped off and grabbed a magazine to cover my speed and distance. I stepped on the 'stopped' treadmill to start my jog. Only, it wasn't stopped. Nope, PAUSE does not mean STOP. It means "Pause for a few moments, than start again without the person using the treadmill knowing it."

So, I am pretty sure you can picture the scene. I attempted to step on the treadmill, expecting it to be PAUSED, and fly right off. Step a few more times again in confusion, scrapping my knee, and hitting my ankle.

Yup, everyone stopped and stared - all those co-workers. Great…

(There are no good pictures of people falling off treadmills, so I attempted to create this one. Bad, I know... But it's a Friday)

Lessons learned
1. Don't use the pause button
2. Should not have let the fact I didn't want people to see my speed/distance interrupt my workout.
3. Look to see if a treadmill is moving before stepping onto it.

I hope all you readers can benefit from my workout today.

Happy weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) :) :)

I'm sorry, but I started to chuckle before I even got to the punch line. I saw it coming.

Unknown said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has fallen off the tredmill at work... I feel your pain.