Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Other People's Children

That is usually what I say about annoying kids. But, it also works for adults too.

I was chatting with a friend of a friend about Ironman. He just completed IM Fla, his first race. He finished sub 12 hours and was disappointed about his time. Riiiggghhhttt... So we chat about my progress, goals (finishing in 17 hours), and having a coach. He tells me that there were 6 of them that signed up and only 2 finished. That freaked me out. But, he said I would be fine because I had a coach. Again, riiiggghhttt....
More chatting about the experience. The conversation switches to almost how easy it is to finish. Something like 'All you have to do is swim, bike 13 mph, and run a 15 minute mile'.
I respond "I know, that will be hard for me."
'Well, biking 13 mph is pretty easy. I mean all you have to do is push down and you will go 13 mph otherwise you won't go anywhere and would fall off your bike'.
That is so not true, because I have done races and my avg is slower than 13 mph! By this time, I am almost getting offended. It's really NOT easy to go 13 mph for 112 miles!! I know he can, easily, but I am going to work my butt off for over a year and hopefully go that speed. To follow up with a marathon, with 15 minute miles, again will not be easy for me. His response, "Oh, you can walk that with no problem".
By this time, I am almost going to say some inappropriate things and basically just stop talking to him.

Sometimes I don't know if it's the type of people who do these events, living in DC, or a combo of the two. It just really rubbed me the wrong way. I know I am sensitive to my speed, but the entire conversation just left me feeling a bit insulted.

In happy news, I had some pictures developed - I broke my digital and had to use a disposible. I forgot what was on the camera and found these pictures from going to Madison for my golden ticket with my mom. Not the best, but you get the idea.

No comments: