Friday, December 14, 2007

Somedays I do LOVE living in DC

There are a lot of things I don't like about DC. The traffic, tourists, attitudes of people, expensive housing and general cost of living, a lack of the great tri-fecta (male, single, straight - and a fourth for me, tall) and of course - politics.

Then there was today. It's December 14, 54 degrees out and the sun is shinning for the first time in 5 days. Today's run was to be "40 minutes. This time first 15 minutes at regular HR, then for the next 15 go to 175, then last 10 minutes lets see if your HR will go back down under 170."

This is very different from my 4:1 I have grown to love. So I give it a try. The first 15 min consisted of down hill, stop lights, and just making it to the mall. It was pretty easy to keep my HR around 160. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel keeping my HR at 175 for 15 min (I usually get a walk break after 4 min) but wanted to try. After the first 5, I turned around (that was 20 min out of my 40 min total). I felt good and let the HR go between 175 and 180. Next thing I notice, it's 25 min, and I only have 5 min left. I am feeling a bit more out of breath, but overall great. I really didn't think I could do it, but did. I only had to stop for about 10 sec at a light within that 15 min time frame.

Now this might now sounds like a lot, but it is for me. I went the same distance I would on a 4:1, but mentally, felt better that I could maintain a higher HR and didn't have to walk.

Tomorrow there is a high of 39 with a Wintry Mix to Rain and I am reminded that it is December. Good thing tomorrow is a swim and 60 min on the trainer. But it's days like today that am I glad I live in DC and have the random 54 degree day.

3 comments:

Spandex King said...

Don't ya love those words "Wintery Mix" That really means slop. Not good for anything.

Anonymous said...

Laughing at your contempt for Washington DC weather and the tourists in particular.
I was one of those tourists last July (during that wicked heat wave just after July 4th)
I found the locals such as yourself to be very friendly. Hence I don't believe you really don't like us tourists, your probably like the rest of the locals in that city...among the nicest in the world, atleast among the various cities I have visited. Washington is a fantastic city!!

Amanda said...

Clyde s. dale - Being from Wisconsin, I am used to the "Wintery Mix". It's so funny listening to everyone freak out about the weather.

Satin jenni - I am that person who will see someone with a map and go ask if they need help. We do complain, but deep down really do like you all!