Tuesday, April 15, 2008

It Was Bound to Happen

They say it happens to everyone. I knew it would eventually happen to me. It had to, it's almost a right of passage. Just a painful one.

Tonight, I decided to break out of my shell, get over my insecurities, and head out for a group ride with the DC tri club out of the bike shop I like, Conte's. I met one girl from the club who was super nice and said she would ride with me. She was great. Gave me tips on how to clip in and clip out - which I S-T-I-N-K at doing!!! I am just not comfortable, which is a major reason I don't ride through the city to get to trails.

Anyway, she said practice was the only way to get used to it, and everyone falls. They clip out at one side, lean to the other, and fall. She said it usually happens when everyone is stopped, waiting, and watching.
Without fail, 5 seconds later, we meet up with the group, I clip out with the left, lean to the right, and down I go. I fell off Carlos and I fell H-A-R-D! With everyone standing on the corner, stopped, waiting, and watching.

Now, everyone was great, asked if I was okay, said it has happened to them, etc. The problem is I am a crier, which is the last thing I wanted to do. I was a bit shaky but managed to hold it in. But when I got back on Carlos, the seat was turned, I couldn't shift and the gears sounded off - that is how hard I hit. This group ride is based on hills. I was told to drop down to the lowest gear, but didn't realize it would be right there when I turned a corner. As stated above, I couldn't shift. I quickly clipped out, tripped, and made it down the street - shaking. The tri club girl came down and helped get everything back to normal. Without her, I think I would still be at the bottom of the hill.

I eventually made it up, decided that was enough and somehow made it through traffic lights, stop signs and cars, back to Conte's. My entire right side hurts and I am sitting on an ice pack. My leg has a bit of road rash, but not to bad. I can't get the grease off my right calf - basically I am a mess. My confidence is shot and I am really glad I don't have a bike scheduled for tomorrow - just a swim and run.

On to reality - I know it wasn't that bad and it will more than likely happen again and again and again. I don't think Carlos is banged up too bad and training will go on. I was just hoping for a better experience for breaking out of my comfort zone... Hopefully next time.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

So sorry to hear about your crash! It's never fun to take a spill on the bike. Be sure to ice your shoulder - especially if you plan on swimming soon. Whenever I've fallen my shoulder takes the longest to heal back up. And your friend is right . . . everyone has a story about falling from forgetting to clip out or doing it wrong.

Is there a parking lot near you where you could practice at low speeds before going out with the group again? This is how I got my confidence.

Spandex King said...

And how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. I�m scared to death about this Ironman Thing! I�ve read the race reports from AZ last weekend and each one razed my anxiety level. So keep nibbling away and come Sept 7th we�ll have finished that elephant! One small bite at a time!

Amanda said...

Thanks for the tip Rebecca! My shoulder didn't hurt too badly, but I iced it anyway. Glad I did!! Really helped for the swim!

King, that is very true. Thanks for putting some perspective on it all! One step, pedal and stroke at a time :-)