Tuesday, April 1, 2008

It's Almost Spring!!

There was a lot that I wanted to comment on today and I am sure I won't remember it all, but I will try.
I went for a run at lunch, right after it stopped raining. In DC, do you know what that means. HUMIDITY!!! It took me about 6 years to realize that when it rains, it does not cut the humidity and cool down the temperature, it makes it worse. Let's just say my hair was really pretty when I passed my boss on the mall.

At some point in the afternoon I realized it was beautiful outside. I decided to leave work a bit early, throw Carlos in the car and head to Hains Point.
After an hour sitting in traffic, it made me realize how lucky I am to hardly every drive during rush hour.
Anyway, I hoped on and took off. I was all ready to work on a higher cadence and my aero position. However, the wind had a different idea. There were little white caps on the Potomac. So, aero bar practice really didn't happen. But overall it was a pretty good ride.

Here were a few interesting points on the ride.
1. A beautiful Tuesday afternoon/evening during the Cherry Blossom festival means many MANY cars. Not just a lot of cars, but cars who don't know Hains Point is full of bikers and don't slow down.
2. There is one part of the loop I was doing were there was a back up of the above mentioned cars. I maneuvered between the car and the curb nervously well but it was so close, one of the boys in the drive leaned out and said "Hi Biking Lady". That is too close to cars for my comfort level.
3. Biking during the peak of the Cherry Blossoms means not to open your mouth, even when breathing, or parts of the blossoms might fly in.
4. Really R-E-A-L-L-Y fast bikers bike on Tuesday evenings. And not once did I hear an "On Your Left!" RUDE!
5. These bikers mentioned above: they can do the snot blowing out of the nostril really well. I was actually more jealous of the snot blowing than the speed of their biking.

No comments: