Sunday, May 25, 2008

Nothing New on Race Day

First of all, what a beautiful day! Perfect day for an open water swim.

Anyway, nothing new on race day, that is usually my rule. However, do to a comment on yesterday's post, I decided tot give ear plugs a try. THANK YOU REBECCA!!! The CVS was open on my way to the race so I hopped in to find some ear plugs. I figured if I didn't like how they felt, I would just pull them out, drop them in the lake and keep swimming.

I get to the start and things aren't going well. I am dropping everything trying to pick up my packet, realized I forgot my watch and preferred goggles, and left all my 'valuable' stuff in my bag (not in the car). And I am in the 3rd last wave due to the fact I put down an odd estimated time. Blah!

Head to the start and line up with all the others in the back. Chatted with some DC tri club people and others around me. Just remind my self that this is for fun and will be fine. I put the ear plugs in and head into the 64 degree water. I get started with no watch and decided to practice Zen swimming. After the first turn I am feeling okay. I hit the first buoy and doing well on my sighting. Then I realize, no dizziness!! The ear plugs were working!! This was great.

On the straight away, I start to get passed by the first wave - aka super speedy people. Once I make the turn and start the second lap, things are cleared up again. I did slow down and check the clock and wasn't thrilled with my first mile time, but didn't hate it either. The second lap I did worse on sighting and felt all over the place. And I got hungry.

When the race was over, I guess I felt okay with it all. Very little dizziness, good sighting on the first lap, and as Jess pointed out - I didn't sink. Some wise words from Mom helped too, not every race will be a personal best. I just need to be happy with the fact of what I am doing, and all is leading up to September 7.

OH - and if I was 30, I would have been third. If I was 24, I would have been second! Instead, I was 8 out of 8 in my age group. Go figure...

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

So glad to hear that it worked for you! Sounds like you're setting yourself up for a strong bike in September!