Thursday, March 20, 2008

Lifeguards should do their job!!

Okay, I am not talking about saving lives. That, I think they do pretty well. Plus, at the Y when there are 5 out of 6 lanes used for lap swimming, saving lives is not the real issue. The real issue - keeping people in lanes that are close to their speed is really their correct job!! I have posted before about my frustrations with circle swimming. Today that wasn't the issue. I was happily splitting the lane when I saw an extra set of legs on one end - so I moved over to start to circle. He was much faster than the two of us, so I adjusted when necessary. But I was wondering why this super fast guy was in our lane and not the "Very Fast" lane.

And then I saw the person in the "Very Fast" lane. Now I saw him while I was swimming and I thought I was going to have do a rescue. He was not even close to parallel with the surface, the stroke was nothing remotely close to free, and just should not have been in the "Very Fast" lane. It throws off the flow of all the lanes.

So, the 3 of us are merrily swimming along and then I see a super fast guy go by on the other side. And then another. After the proper "let the fast guy pass" moment, I realized there were 4 other people in my lane, all way faster than me. And the "Very Fast" lane - another guy who was doing this side/breast stroke thing had jumped in and they were happily splitting the lane.

UGH!!!

I really think in situations like this, the lifeguard should move people to a more appropriate skill level lane.

1 comment:

Arin_C said...

Well he could either move the person or shoot him, whichever is easier. I also think there should be a rule of "freestyle" only in the fast or very fast lanes. Every time someone someone starts to do the breast stroke in one of those lanes I want to swim up to them and hold them under the water.... Sorry this is a bit harsh but I haven't had my coffee yet.