Thursday, September 13, 2007

I Feel Like the Tortoise

There is the saying “Slow and steady wins the race”. Well, first of all, I am not trying to win a race. Second, going slow is really hard, especially when you are pretty slow to begin with!!

Jess and I went out for a lunch run. It was not really a run; I don’t think I can even call it a trot. It was more like a shuffle, with walking. My goal, via Coach, was to keep my HR between 142 and 163. Usually my HR averages 180+. I know that is high, but that is the way it has always been and I feel fine. Can talk, not easily by the end, but I can; could keep going after the trot is over; and usually feel like I had a really good workout. Not so much yesterday. Poor Jess had to listen to me complain the entire shuffle! I was also only supposed to be out for 45 min, but the usual route that takes 45 min took about 1 hour. Ahhh!!!

However, I trust Coach and will do what he says. My avg HR was 160, so hopefully he will be happy with that. This is something new for me and I must trust him. I don’t like coming back from a run/jog/trot/shuffle/walk not very sweaty, however I have a feeling he knows what he is doing…

But I am still going to complain about it!! :-)

2 comments:

Spandex King said...

I know what you mean. I hear about this slow long distance training and I always say if I slowed down on my run I'd go backwards.

However I know pacing and nutrition are the key in Ironman so I will also be working on this.

Amanda said...

It's not great for the self esteem, considering I already know I am pretty slow.

You sound like my coach. He keeps talking about pacing, nutrition, and patience.

It's nice to know I am not the only one out there trying to figure this Ironman thing out!