Saturday, July 5, 2008

Best Ride Ever

Okay, maybe not even close to the best ride ever, but I did do something that I haven't done on any ride yet - change a flat.

Brooke, Hillary and I met up at 6:30 for a ride. We roll through Georgetown and hit MacArthur. Cruising along and with a few rain drops here and there. Brooke was having a front derailleur issues and was in the middle ring for the ride - which you couldn't tell because she kicked butt up the big hill at Old Anglers Inn. We head back towards the city and it starts coming down a bit harder. The plan was to drop Hillary back off on Wisconsin Ave and Brooke and I were going to head for loop 2.
Well, in the now pouring down rain, I hear a pop and hissss..... Yup, flat back tire. We pull over and I get started. After some greasy hands, help from a stranger with a bike pump (which was good because I have no idea what happened to my CO2 cartridge) and of course help from Brooke and Hillary, 25 minutes later we are clipped in and back on the road.

Now I know, 25 minutes is way too long and if it happens in Madison, there is a good chance that will be the end of me and my Ironman dreams. But the devil is in the details and there are a few things that I remembered I was supposed to do and will hopefully remember next time. Better yet, there won't be a next time...

The rain was coming down pretty hard and Brooke and I decided to just head back with Hillary. It was only 70 and with the rain there is a good chance of me catching a cold, so I just came home after 30 miles.

I am going to take a nap and try to go out and finish this afternoon if the radar looks like it will stay clear for a bit.

No comments: