Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I think DC has falling in the "Small Town" category

I grew up in a small-er town, a suburb of Milwaukee, that we called "The Bubble." Cute little village where you know your neighbors, the police and fire chief, and didn't think about cutting class because your parents would find out immediately - so no, I never did Mom and Dad!! Also walking down the street takes 20 minutes because you stop and talk to EVERYONE!!

My point - this morning (yes, I said MORNING) I got to work, dropped off my stuff and headed out for my long run. I am trotting down The Mall and who passes me - Brooke! Totally unexpected. I catch her at a stop light, we chat, and she takes off. I didn't even know she ran on The Mall.
I continue, down to Lincoln, across Memorial bridge to Arlington Cemetery and back, around the Tidal Basin and who do I see - Charles!! I flag him down, thankful for the break as he is bouncing around the way real runners do, we chat and each continue on our way. I knew he was training for a marathon, but just didn't expect to see him out and about.

Now I don't know that many people in this city, but seeing 2 before 8 am!?!? Strange.

Overall, not a great run. My legs just would not move quickly. About an hour and 45 minutes into it, I knew my legs were not having it. I tried to talk my self into going the full 3 hours, but I just couldn't. It was slow and disappointing. The only good thing I can say - my knees didn't hurt until I was done. They were fine during the 'run' - but I guess when you are moving so slow, there isn't much to pound on.
This is the first in a long while I am actually worried about finishing. I keep saying, and continue to say, I will do my best, it's all I can do. But after this run today, and how my legs felt after only 11 miles... I am worried

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am truly amazed at all the ups and downs a person goes through in whatever they are attempting, practicing, creating, etc. But yet, people always keep trying - that's you!!! You are giving your best, but you aren't through yet - You have more to give - So hang in there - your determination will get you through - Love, Mom

PS - Look at how you have improved in snot rockets!

Amanda said...

Thanks Mom!!