Sunday, June 8, 2008

Well, I Guess That is What Happens When You Skip Swims

What a day.

First of all, it's still around 100 degrees with insanely high humidity. That being said, Merissa, Jess, and Kristin all showed up at Sandy Point State Park bright and early. Dad took Arin and Mom across for his one mile swim and came back to see me off. We relaxed, applied sunblock and played some ladder ball. It's a good warm up for the shoulder.

It was time to get started and we are all corralled into the pen.

At first, it was nice to get into the water. Then I realized I had to keep swimming...
Mile 1 was fast, as it typically is. It took FOREVER to get to mile 2. That is when I realized I am not in swimming shape and skipping all those swims does not make for a pleasant 4.4 miles.
But then I realized that I did not, and am not, training for distance swim races. I am really concentrating on my biking and running so I can't expect to do as well as I did in the past. Once I realized that, things went better. Mile 3 was pretty fast and with 1.4 miles left, that felt like nothing.

I finished and felt it went okay. Not great like last year, not as bad as the first year.

Overall, I was super proud of Arin with his great 1 mile. My parents for seeing me finish. My friends for getting up early. And everyone for being there for me, especially in the heat!!

As for me, I am fried to a crisp! And yes, I did use a lot of sunscreen. But the worst part, I actually have a tan line on my forehead from the swim cap and around my eyes from the goggles. I look a bit ridiculous... I hope it goes away quickly!!

1 comment:

Arin_C said...

Congrats on your great time! I had allot of fun doing the 1 mile and it was even better because you did the 4.4 mile. Thanks for encouraging me to do it!