Sunday, August 24, 2008

4655

First of all, don't tell Coach what I am about to write...

Today was the Reston Century Ride, a recreational tour of Virginia. I signed up for the century (104 mile) ride and had full intentions of doing the entire event. Coach had me just doing a 5-6 hour ride, yesterday (and we all know I can't do 104 miles in 6 hours. This is why you can't tell him!!). Rule number 1 was to never do more than he said...

So I pull into the parking lot, start getting Blain ready, and this guy starts talking to me. Now it's about 6:30, I have had zero coffee, about to do 104 miles and not feeling up to chatting. But he starts to comment on the amount of liquid I am taking (3 bottles of Accelerade and my aero drink filled with water). I explain that I am training for IM Moo and this is my last long ride so am treating it like I would the bike portion of the race. He goes off about how every 10 pounds adds 30 minutes to your bike time, I should have trained with the Gatorade they provide on the course, or I should just add protein powder and it's the same as Accelerade. HELLO!?!?! Why are you telling me about what to do on my Ironman that is 2 weeks away!!! I try to be polite and tell him I have a sensitive stomach, this is working for me, and I don't want to do anything new on race day. He proceeds to say I should just bring powder, mix it with water, and only carry 1 bottle - the time difference would be better that way.
Oh, and I was bringing too many Gu's.
And my Hammer electrolyte pills were a waste.
AND if I wanted real advice, I should talk to other tri clubs, not DC Tri because they are ALL nuwbies and I should look into his club. I am not a violent person but was SOOOO close to punching this very annoying guy, kicking his shins, poking him in the eye - even, dare I say, hurt his bike.

I mean really, just because you parked 2 spots way from me does not make us friends.

So, buy the time I got to the REALLY LONG registration line, I was fuming!! Poor Brooke had to calm me down, remind me it was just a relaxing ride, but I was just so mad. Ahh, annoying!

Anyway, Brooke, M, D, T (I didn't ask if I could use their names on the blog so initials it is) and I headed out - and we were hoping to see Rose on the course. Pretty soon it was Brooke, T and I, then T and I. After the first rest stop, my chain popped off (again!! Boo, taking it to Conte's tomorrow to hopefully get it checked out) I was on my own. Brooke waited up for me and when we got to the main rest stop T was there. T decided to try the 104 with me and we headed out. Unfortunately, we (I) missed a turn. When we saw M and D, I knew we (I) missed something. So we turned around and headed back. That loop was to be 28 miles, and we did 14, so close enough.

We headed out to the other loop and half way my right knee really started to hurt. After we got back to the rest stop, I was really happy we (I) missed the turn for the loop with the big hills.

On the way back, we were on a trail with ZERO shade and the sun was sucking the life out of me. The last 12 miles killed me! I understand the sun is good and all, but not this afternoon. I did luck out with little humidity and not too much wind... but still, 90 degrees at 2 in the afternoon is just hot.

But I finished a good ride for me. No falling, no broken chain (unlike Brooke), no broken water bottle cage (unlike D and M). Just some sore knees and a fat lip because I decided to drink from my aero water bottle just as I was going over a bump - oops.

As my last long ride, I am slightly concerned with my lack of hill training. But there is nothing I can do about it now. Who is to say if I would have done all hills, my knees would be working and I could still continue. There are more than a thousand possibilities, what if's, out there and I just have to be happy with what I have done and what is meant to be will be.

Oh, and the 4655 subject line - the number of calories I burned today according to my HRM. Cheese steak for dinner!

2 comments:

TV Zombie said...

You rocked! And she's not kidding about the annoying guy.

(And you can totally use my name, especially since it's just adding one more letter!)

M.E.

Anonymous said...

Well from here on until September 7 it's downhill. Just remember one very important thing. ENJOY THE RIDE!! I'm not talking biking just the experience. You've worked hard for it and we are PROUD!!