Sunday, August 10, 2008

I Take Back What I Said About Mother Nature

Is anyone getting sick of me saying how beautiful it has been??? I mean really, I have totally lucked out with weather - especially this weekend. Yes, there have been some bad days but the last 2 days totally makes up for everything. High 70's to low 80's, fluffy clouds, slight breeze, LOW humidity... So great.

So last night wasn't a stay at home night as planned, it turned into a dinner with Becky which was very wroth it. But when 6 am came calling, it was a bit too early for my liking. And when the hill at Old Anglers came, followed by the entrance in and out of Great Falls, I really wasn't happy. I knew I couldn't afford to have another poor ride but my legs weren't happy.

But, Brooke was waiting for me at my car, ready to join me for the rest of my ride. I haven't seen her since she kicked butt at Vineman. I don't know what it is about riding with her, but I do so much better. We caught up a little, but had to ride single file on the roads to start. She let me lead and I didn't want to embarrass my self, so I think I pushed a bit harder. We did a few rollers and then headed out to a few roads that were new to me. Rollers were an understatement...

We hit a good rhythm, I would pass her on the down hills, she would catch me on the ups. After we got back to the cars, I needed close to another hour. Brooke was great and headed back out with me - this was her first ride since Vineman.
I can not express how great it was to have her there. I take more chances on downhills (knowing if I fly over my handlebars, she is right there), push harder on the uphills to keep up, and feel smoother on the flats. It would be great if she could be in Madison - however there is that no pacing rule thing...

The best part, when we were done, I could have kept going. 74 miles, 5 hours 15 minute, 14 mph. Really, that is all I need to go for 112 miles.

4 weeks left and I am feeling good. Tired, but good - and will follow these life instructions.

No comments: