Sunday, August 3, 2008

Finally a Good Ride

I think Mother Nature was doing me a favor yesterday. This morning was perfect, started off with very low humidity, 72 degrees and sunny. So nice!!!

Rose and I started at Idylwood Park to hop on the WO&D trail. Even starting by 8:30, there were a lot of people out and I was a bit disappointed in my decision to do the trail. But after a few miles things cleared up a bit and things were going okay.

Now I have been doing a lot of loops lately so it's a slightly different mindset when doing an out and back. When I saw the Carmax were I bought Marcus, I realized how far out I was, and still had a long way to go. I am pedaling along and start to get a bit nauseous and feel like I am not going anywhere. It looks like the trail is flat, but given my speed, I am not that slow - it must be a slight incline. A guy passed me and said "when is this going to end?!?" After we chatted for a bit, we determined there must be an incline and kept going.

Once I hit the 2 hour 30 minute mark and I got to turn around, I automatically felt better. And I started to FLY back. Even with a stop to fill up water, slowed down to talk with a few other bikers, and having to stop at every light - I still was back 10 minutes faster than going out. It felt really good.

But I got back and there was no Rose. About 90 minutes in, we separated and said we would meet back at the cars. 15 minutes later, just as I was on my way out for my run, she came in. Apparently her back tire wasn't holding air and made a stop at a bike shop. But what was next to the bike shop, a Baja Fresh. So she stopped and had a fish taco and lemonade. I laughed so hard, really, a fish taco in the middle of your ride... She still kicked but with 57 miles!

We celebrated our ride with more Baja Fresh.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum... fish tacos... Baja Fresh is almost as good as Del Taco. Now I want a taco. But strangely, not a 75 mile bike ride...